Your Water Meter
The District reads your water meter bi-monthly to determine your water use. But, you don't have to wait for the District, you can easily learn to read your meter to better understand your water consumption.
Monitoring Your Water Usage
The following steps will show you how to determine your water usage over a specific period of time.
- Read the meter register and write the number down completely. Record the date as well.
- After a period of time has passed (a week, for example) read and record the meter register number and the date again.
- Subtract your first reading from your second. This is your water usage during that time period.
- Divide this number by the number of days between the readings.
- The resulting number is approximate of your daily water usage in gallons. Daily water usage should be approximatly 50 gallons per person, excluding water used for irrigation.
Many District meters have been upgraded to our new i-meters. Click here to find out how to monitor your water use with our WaterSmart software.
I think I may have a leak — now what?
Go to our Leaks page to learn more.